Alameda Naval Air Museum

Service Stories

We are continully working to preserve the history of NAS Alameda and her aviation predecessors at Alameda Point, and you can help by sharing your memories of life at NAS Alameda during your time of service. Any old photos, news-clippings, or documentation related to NAS Alameda is vital to our mission. We can digitally scan these items and return to you if necessary. Many former base personnel have spent time jotting down their recollections and forwarding in an e-mail. We're not looking for award winning essays from polished authors. Just the things you remember from your days stationed at Alameda. Even a few paragraphs are valuable to us. Others, who have the capability to scan their photos, send us the digital images of themselves or the base during that same period. Please contact Larry Pirack (curator) if you are able to provide us with any original photographs, images or artifacts, and please email our webmaster with any additions or updates.

Yvette Alcantar
My father Frederick Rosenstock Alcantar last duty station before being discharged from the U.S. Navy was Alameda NAS (around 1946). He fell in love with Alameda and decided to make it his home. He continued to work on the base as a DOD civilian aircraft mechanic until he retirement in 1986. I have many fond memories of Alameda NAS, as a child visiting daddy at work and later as an adult and active service member who had the privilege of utilizing the base facilities.
-- Yvette Alcantar
Jimmy Price
I was part of HM-15 when we home ported to Alameda, CA in 1987. I was an AMS3 stationed with HM-15 till Nov of 1989, and retired from HM-15 as a AM1 out of Corpus Christi, TX
-- Jimmy Price
Bernard Hershey -- 1942 to 1946
From 1942 to 1946 I was attached to the AOG (aircraft on ground) unit at NAS Alameda. I helped set up a stock control system whereby we could search the supply system in the USA and expedite parts urgently required in the forward area to repair grounded aircraft in the Pacific area. Commodore Durham was CO of the entire unit. My CO was Lt. Richard Frank who is deceased. To move parts quickly we used the MARS flying boats to send supplies to Pearl Harbor.
-- Bernard Hershey SKV2c, USNR. 857-12-44
Harold E. Ohanian -- 1943 to 1944
In June of 1943 I was assigned to a newly formed CASU #8 unit in Hawaii, and we were transported to the Solomon Island area via the sea plane tender the USS Pocomoke. Departing the Pocomoke, in Numea we transfered to an LSI and transported to Guadalcanal. Over a period of the next 13 months we maintained carrier land based aircraft, and others from the Russell Islands, Munda New Georgia, Green Island and the Treasures. Our operational aircraft consisted primarily of F4F, SBD, TBF, F6F, Australian P40s, F4U Corsairs, P38s-rigged as night fighters, P39 Bell AirCobras,and occasional B25s rigged with 75mm breach loaded cannons and few F8 aircraft. We returned to the States in late July of 1944. Our last major support was for aircraft striking the major Japanese base at Truk.
-- Aviation Radar Technician 1st Class; Harold E. Ohanian
William T. Bandy -- 1970
I was stationed there in around 1970, with VWA 133, I was on the flight line working on A4's at the time. There was a fleet week show in the bay area when I think #3 of the Blue Angels crashed in the bay. I helped get out the pilot from the water and bring him to sick bay, but all he wanted to do was go back up, so with uniform still wet he climbed back up another A4 and joined his bud's in the sky. I'm 60 now and that time was the best time of my life. I was a MARINE, so keep the beer cold & the lady's hot.
-- William T. Bandy, USMC R
Renee Nichols -- 1991 to 1993
Of one of the most humorous and potentially embarrassing stories that happened while I was there involved my Lieutenant and his ID card. He'd ridden into PT on his bicycle (which he'd done often) and tucked his ID card into the sleeve of his sweater while doing PT. I was the last one out of the gym and so I picked up the sweater, knowing it belonged to someone in our unit, but not knowing who. (nor did I know the ID card was in the sleeve.) I brought the sweater back to my barracks, took a shower and brought it to muster that morning. The Chiefs told me the sweater belonged to the Lieutenant, so I gave it back to him. The ID card was missing, so I retraced my steps to go find it. When I got back to the barracks, low and behold there it was laying in the middle of the hallway floor. We all got a good chuckle out of what might have happened if the BEQ staff (or some other officer) had found this Lieutenant's ID card in the hallway of the enlisted women's barracks!!! "Really Captain, it was quite innocent circumstances sir!"
-- E03 Renee Nichols
Stephen Lunge
I remember serving as an escort for single ladies in attendance at a gala event celebrating an anniversary of the Air Station in which Admiral Chester Nimitz was in attendance. If I recall correctly I was in the NAVY League at the time. I can't remember what anniversary it was. All I remember was WOW FLEET ADMIRAL NIMITZ and I got to salute him!
-- Midshipman Stephen Lunge, United States Navy League - Sea Cadet Corp
Charles H. (Chuck) Holder -- 1965 to 1981

I first came to NAS Alameda in June 1965 as a third class Aviation Storekeeper attached to Bldg 8 1st floor. My first leading chief was Tony Palombo and my first boss was Glenn Saylor. Many of the young sailors would go up to the third floor of Bldg 8 (Stock Control area) to gander at a lovely young lady who wore short mini-shirts (Carol Trotter). In 1968, I was transferred to the USS Midway, home ported at the Naval Air Station, were I spent several tours to Viet Nam. In 1973 I transferred to Hunter’s Point Naval Shipyard for a two year tour and then was transferred to the Naval Weather Service Facility Alameda , right their in Bldg 77 (2nd and 3rd floors) as a first class Aviation Storekeeper. In 1976 I transferred to the USS Coral Sea which was also home ported at Alameda. In 1979 I returned to the Naval Air Station as the Aviation Support Division (ASD) Chief and Leading Chief of the Supply Department right their in Bldg 77 2nd and 3rd floors.

I retired from the Navy in June of 1981 and went to work as a private contractor in the Public Works Bldg across the street from Bldg 8, were I worked for 2 years before leaving the Naval Air Station and the Bay area to work for Hughes Helicopter Company in Culver City Ca manufacturing the U.S. Army’s Apache Helicopter. I still work today for the Boeing Company in Mesa Arizona building the Apache Longbow Helicopter. In my adult life in the navy, my most fondest and cherished memories were right their in Bldg 77 Air Terminal and the Naval Air Station Alameda Supply Department. If I ever get back to the Bay area, I will make sure that I visit the museum and all the wonderful work you have accomplished.

-- Charles H. (Chuck) Holder AKC, USN (Ret)