VAQ-130 "Zappers" Tactical Electronics Warfare Squadron 130
VAQ-130 "Zappers" Patch
Dating from the Eisenhower administration, the Zappers of VAQ-130 have led the way in Navy electronic warfare for more than 40 years.
Originally designated VAW-13, the unit is the longest serving carrierbased electronic warfare squadron in Navy history,
and has flown the Navy's three primary tactical jamming aircraft into the heaviest, most threatening electronic environments ever faced by manned aircraft.
Commissioned at NAS Agana, Guam, on September 1, 1959 and transferred to NAS Alameda, California, in July, 1961, Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron
Thirteen flew a variety of aircraft during its eight years. In the spring of 1967 this unit received the first EKA3-B and KA3-Bs and soon began to deploy
its Skywarriors to provide aerial refueling and electronic countermeasures while continuing to operate Douglas EA-1Fs until November, 1970.
From November, 1967, until March, 1969, six VAW-13 detachments operated EKA3-Bs aboard the USS America (CVA-66), Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31),
Constellation (CVA-64), Enterprise (CVN-65), Hancock (CVA-19), and Ranger (CVA-61).
On October 1, 1968, the squadron was redesignated VAQ-130 and 14 of its detachments served aboard carriers in the Gulf of Tonkin until the return of Det 4
in June 1973. From May to October 1974, VAQ-130 Det 4 made the final EKA3-B peacetime deployment aboard the USS Ranger (CVA-61). Following the decommissioning
of VAH-123 in February 1971, VAQ-130 also took over the responsibility for training A-3 crews. VAQ-130 stood down on June 30, 1974 and moving to NAS Whidbey
Island, Washington, began its transition to the EA-6B.
Credit:Provided by Mr. Robert M. Cieri.